of California, Davis
162: Environmental Policy
Department of Environmental Science & Policy
2104 Wickson Hall
ESP Office 2132 Wickson Hall
office hours: Wednesdays, 2:00 P.M. (except 3/4 and 3/11)
Boon-Ling Yeo -- primary contact for students with a last name starting A-I.
office hours: Thursday 10:30-11:30am, Wickson 2120J
See the location for office hours in Wickson (2120J or 2133) in this floorplan.
Matt Robbins -- primary contact for students with a last name starting J-Z.
office hours: Tuesday noon-1:00pm, Wickson 2133
|Class lectures: T/Th, 1:40-3:00pm, Welman 234|
Discussion/Lab: Wed., 10:00-10:50 (Sec. 1), 11:00-11:50 (Sec. 2), and 12:10-1:00 (Sec. 3), SCILAB 2020
Midterm: in class, Thursday, February 14th.
Final: Wednesday, March 20, 6:00 - 8:00pm
Announcements (newest first)
3/19: We will have two rooms for the final. Last names A-M will
be in our regular classroom (Wellman 234). Last names N-Z will be
nearby in Wellman 226.
* 3/14: Here are some additional practice and example questions: MS word or PDF.
* 3/12: I will hold office hours on Monday (3/18) from 3pm-4pm instead of Wednesday (3/20).
* 3/9: Correction to Homework 5, question 3:
"total emissions charges (TEC)" should instead read "total
emissions fees (TEF)". Current version hyperlinked below has been
* 3/5: The next problem set has been posted below.
2/28: For the next two weeks I will hold office hours on Mondays (3/4
and 3/11) from 3pm-4pm instead of Wednesdays. If there are more than a couple
of people we will be in 2120J, down the hallway from my office.
* 2/28: The next problem set has been posted below.
* 2/21: The next homework has been posted below.
* 2/14: The midterm will be held in our regular classroom for all. (Unfornutely no nearby additional room was available.)
2/5: There will be no Thursday office hours this week since
Boon-Ling is away. Tuesday and Wednesday office hours are
available as usual.
* 1/25: See second homework assignment below.
1/18: Prof. Springborn will have office hours on Tuesday (1/22)
at 9am instead of Wednesday (1/23) for the next week only.
* 1/17: See first homework assignment below, due by the beginning of class on Tuesday, 1/22.
For lab participation credit on 1/9: see the reading and
warm-up excercises assignment (to be completed before lab) in the class
Schedule (link below)
1. Homework 1: Problem set 1, due by the beginning of class on Tuesday, Jan. 22. - Data from the lab experiment for questions 1 & 2.
Each homework assignment is due at the beginning of class.
Short papers (15 points each, except for Homework 1):
Problem sets (10 points each):
- It is essential that you see "Writing for ESP
162" (see Links above) for requirements for formatting, citations, content, etc.
- You're score on short paper assignments will be broken down into two scores:
addresses the question, stays on topic, states a coherent position
supported by analytically sound arguments and references (as needed).
meets the standard for grammar, spelling, punctuation and mechanics.
Follows formatting requirements including reference format
specified in "Writing for ESP
- May be
- We will typically grade two questions in depth for 2.5 points each and
award the remaining five points based on the completeness of the
- For some problem sets we will note additional problems to
These are not assigned and should not be turned in but are
strongly suggested for practice and review.
2. Homework 2: Problem set 2,
PDF VERSION: PS#2 -Due: Monday 2/4 by 4pm, location: ESP mailroom, Wickson 2132, envelope on the counter.
-If you want to turn in before Friday afternoon: slide it under Prof Springborn's door (Wickson 2104).
3. Homework 3: Short paper: Climate Change Policy, due at the beginning of class on Thursday, February 28th. (PDF version)
4. Homework 4: Problem set 3,
PDF VERSION: PS#3 -Due: at the beginning of class on Tuesday 3/5
5. Homework 5: Problem set 4,
PDF VERSION: PS#4 -Due: at the beginning of class on Tuesday 3/12